Friday, February 19, 2016

Horse whisperer (My Dad)
I am proud of the reputation my Dad had of his ability to handle a team of horses. It seemed as though he could bond with any he was around or owned. And he did own a team of percheron draft horses that were said to have been 18 hands high.(they were big). He used them for logging as that was what he did for a few years when I was quite young. at night he would rub them down with gunny sacks and also used a curry tool to use on their muscles.I remember him talking to them in a soothing tone as he gave them their after work rub down. Also in the morning he talked to them as he walked beside and between them in the stalls as he was putting on the harnesses.
One morning there was a huge commotion out at the barn. My dad hurried out to see what was going on and discovered the whole back of the barn had been kicked to pieces. (the section behind the horses.). he said when he came back to the house that a bear had made the mistake of wanting to have some horsemeat to eat.  More of Dad and horses later. bye

No comments:

Post a Comment